Friday, August 10, 2012

Undoing, Redoing...

So I had the fun experience the other day of frogging something.

Frogging, in knitting, refers to removing your needles from a project and ripping the yarn out until you reach a certain spot or until there's nothing left of the piece.

It's called frogging because you rip it.  You rip it.  Get it?

I love puns.



Anyway, the particular thing I was frogging was a fingerless glove with a lace pattern making up most of the glove.  This is my first attempt at lace, and the left glove went pretty well after I made some adjustments (the pattern is weird and didn't fit my hand at all when I knit following the directions to the letter).

The right hand, alas, didn't go so well.  This pattern isn't that well-written (I think the author of the particular book I'm using is better at following other people's patterns than writing her own), so I kindasorta tried to make things up as I went along.  It became clear, however, that what I was doing wouldn't end well.

So, I decided to undo a few rows.  In a moving car.  On a California freeway.  With a lace pattern where half the stitches are just the yarn twisted around the needle rather than an actually pulling loops of yarn through other loops.

A few minutes later, I had a pile of kinked yarn in my lap and four empty needles stored away in my bag.  I'd given up trying to pick up a few rows back from my mistakes.  I had to start over completely.

Nothing sucks one's energy out quite like undoing all your lovely work and having to start all over.

But still, I persevere, however slowly.  Giving up would leave me with one glove and a feeling of shame that comes with that giving up.  The important thing is to never lose hope.  I wanted two lacy gloves, I'mma GET two lacy gloves.  And you know what?  I'm gonna finish them before Monday so I can wear them when I take the written test to get a California learner's permit and maybe even my license (finally).  I'm gonna be that awesome.

My problem with knitting/crocheting (been bettering the ways of the hook) is that I quickly get bored of things going slowly, and I keep finding fascinating new things to make, despite the fact that money is limited and I should really be just knuckling down and finishing the dang gloves/spats/whatever.

...you know, I think I'm just gonna go back to working, now.  Discipline is good.

ETA: I managed to do a little screwing up anyway.  Oh well, you can't really see it unless you're looking for it.  WHICH AS THE KNITTER I ALWAYS AM.

*coughcough* Anyway.  Moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment